Steve R. Lyle , M.D., Ph.D.
Dr. Lyle trained in pathology at the University of Pennsylvania Hospitals, Philadelphia, PA, completing his residency in anatomic pathology and a fellowship in surgical pathology under Virginia LiVolsi. He then completed the Harvard combined dermatopathology fellowship training at the Harvard-affiliated hospitals; Massachusetts General Hospital under Dr. Martin C. Mihm, Brigham and Women's Hospital under Dr. Philip McKee, and Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital under Dr. Steven Tahan. He is currently an Assistant Professor at the University of Massachusetts Medical School and a consultant for several Boston area institutions.
In addition to his expertise in diagnostic dermatopathology, Dr. Lyle maintains an active NIH-funded research lab studying adult skin stem cells and skin cancer stem cells. In his pioneering work with Dr. George Cotsarelis at the University of Pennsylvania, he identified and characterized the multi-potent stem cells within the bulge region of the human hair follicle. His lab now focuses on translating the basic understanding of stem cell biology to human disease including alopecia, wound healing and cancer. He is a recognized expert in the areas of:
• alopecia and hair disorders
• adnexal tumors
• melanocytic lesions
• M.D. University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
• Ph.D. University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
• Anatomic Pathology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
• Surgical Pathology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
•Dermatopathology, Harvard Combined Dermatopathology Program, Massachusetts General, Brigham and Women's and Beth Israel Deaconess Hospitals, Boston MA
Past and present affiliations:
• Instructor, Department of Pathology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
• Research Fellow, Department of Dermatology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
• Assistant Professor of Pathology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
• Staff Pathologist, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA
• Associate Director, Harvard Combined Dermatopathology Program
• Consultant Pathologist, Milford-Whitinsville Regional Medical Center, Milford, MA
• Consultant in Dermatopathology, Northeast Dermatology Associates, Andover, MA
• Consultant in Dermatopathology, Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates, Boston, MA
• Laboratory Director, Catalyst Oncology, Inc.
• Staff Pathologist, University of Massachusetts Medical Center, Worcester, MA
Click here to search for Dr. Lyle's publications.
Click here to view Dr. Lyle's Alopecia and Adnexal Tumors conference on Dermpedia.